Things I have learnt this week:
- Writing I have completed, that I thought was rubbish and had discarded, is so much better when returned to a few weeks later after putting it away for a while! (Phew) Why is it that we can’t see the value in our own writing or art straight away? Perhaps we are too close to the subject when we have created it and need some time and distance from it to appreciate what we have made?
- Sitting down to write doesn’t have to be a mammoth session. A good friend shared some advice she had been given last week – to keep a tiny notebook by the kettle and jot down notes while the kettle is boiling. Getting anything on paper helps, it also saves that awful moment when you open a word document on the computer and stare blankly at the screen. Having hand written fuel gives you something to get you started and then the words flow.
- Children have a magical ability to immediately know when you are absorbed and occupied in a thought. They also have a special word to break the spell….’Muuuuuum’. (But I wouldn’t change it for all the money in the world.)
- Midnight is too late to be going to bed on a work night. (I will publish this in the morning)
- Writing this blog has given me the jolt that I needed. 500 words completed!
Goals for next week:
- Write another 500 words.
- Stick to one book and finish reading it.
See you next week,